Police offer 50m/- for capture of killers



Dar es Salaam Deputy Inspector General Abdulrahman Kaniki (L) and Dar es Salaam Special Zone commander Suleiman Kova visit survivor of the Sunday night Stakishari police post attack, constable Gaston Shadrack yesterday in the city. (Photo: By Guardian Photographer)

Police yesterday offered a reward of 50m/- for information leading to the arrest of gunmen who ambushed and killed seven people at Stakishari police post, in Dar es Salaam on Sunday night. Speaking to journalist in a news conference held at Police headquarters in Dar es Salaam Special Zone Commander Suleiman Kova said the information should be given to the regional police commanders of nearby police stations.

He said that any person with the information could also report directly to the regional police commanders or to his office. “Doors are open for any person who will volunteer to information which will lead to the arrest of the gangsters

who invaded the police station and killed seven people and made away with firearms… the information can be channeled through the Police Spokesperson, Advera Bulimba, Director of Criminal Investigation CP Diwani Athuman or directly to the special zone office,” Kova said.

Commander Kova further said that the Police in Dar es Salaam had already established manhunt operation to nab the gunmen. He urged public to collaborate with Police noting that without cooperation nothing can be done.

Meanwhile, the Commission for Human Rights and God Governance (CHRAGG) has condemned the killings of four police officers and three civilians.
In a statement circulated to media and signed by Commission’s by Chairman Bahame Nyanduga said that the brutalities and killings are violation of human rights.

“The Commission received information with shock following the demise of four policemen and three civilians, we console those who lost their beloved brothers and sisters,” he said. Nyanduga explained that since the invasion of the police stations seemed to be recurring therefore it is time for the government to work out on the incidents seriously.

He explained that detailed investigations would lead to lasting solutions that would also ensure security at police posts and stations. He however advised that the government through ministry of home affairs to improve security within stations including provision of relevant facilities and allocate enough budgets.

Also the police force should improve night patrols as it is being done in the afternoon patrols as one way to end armed robbery at the police station and posts. Inspector General of Police Ernest Mangu said police were now boosting security in and around all police stations following the recurrence of such attacks.

The gangsters also made away with an unknown number of firearms and ammunitions and all are at large. Police have unleashed manhunt to nab the bandits. He said history has shown that there was a need to ensure security around the police stations due to the rising number of sporadic attacks by armed gangsters in the country.

He had mentioned attacks that occurred at Ushirombo in Geita Region, Rufiji in Coast Region and Kawe in Dar es Salaam. He explained that the process would ensure that
policemen, firearms and staff living around the police stations and posts were free from any attacks.

Explaining how the Sunday night attacks occurred, Inspector Mangu said they happened around at 22.00 hours before which the thugs arrived with a car and pretended to be complainants. Suddenly they sprayed fire when they faced hard questions from the police officer on duty.

IGP Mangu admitted that the suspects ambushed the post purposely to steal weapons for use in a mission that was yet to be established.
Powered by Blogger.