Dar–Mtwara bound passengers stranded as drivers down tools

 Dar es salaam  -  Mtwara bound passengers were stranded yesterday for three hours after the drivers went on strike to press Police in the region to release their three colleagues who were detained due to reckless driving.
Some passengers at Mtwara bus terminal blamed the drivers for going on strike while they had sold tickets to them, saying the strike has interfered with their plans.
“We are traveling for different reasons, some  of us  have problems while others want to arrive earlier so that they can  sort out  some business issues said Muhidini Chinenge who wanted to travel to Dar es Salaam and then connect a train to Shinyanga.
He said that he made efforts to consult ticket vendors but they only said that their drivers were on strike following the arrest of three drivers due to speeding.
Another passenger Iddi Selemani said that he was disappointed to see traffic police at the bus terminal who did not help to ensure that the matter was resolved to allow them to proceed with their journey.
One of the drivers Zungu, Abdul Mcharu said that they want to know the fate of three drivers who were arrested due to speeding. 
 “The arrest of our colleagues have raised  many questions because they were offended for speeding …how can a person be detained for  two days  just because of reckless driving …we went to police to see how the issue could be resolved but  no one was ready to cooperate with us.
Mtwara Regional Traffic Officer (RTO) Meloe Buzema said that police were working on the matter and the suspects were expected to be taken to court to answer their charges.
He said police  Traffic  were currently on  special  operation  to control  speeding  which has been cited as the main contributor  to traffic accidents  while  the drivers causing the accident were paying fine and repeat the offence … “the best way is to  prosecute them,” 
“Most of the accidents are due to speeding, we can not tolerate seeing people’s lives claimed by accidents …they have been paying fine but still they repeat the offense that’s why we have decided to take them to court,” 
However the buses resumed operations three hours later.
Powered by Blogger.